As part of our programme to encourage and help develop the work of emerging artists, we are inviting art students to submit exhibition proposals to showcase their work in The Holy Biscuit. The successful applicant, either a group or individual, will be awarded the use of our exhibition space FREE for three weeks in February 2016 as well as support from our gallery staff.
This is a fantastic opportunity to gain experience in the following areas:
- Curatorial practice and installation within a professional gallery
- Experimenting with methods of displaying work outside of the studio environment
- Exhibiting in a gallery open to the public, gaining valuable feedback from outside the university.
- Talking about the development and curation of your work with artists and practitioners through our student show discussion evening.
Applicants must have an existing body of work, but further work can be produced and developed in the run up to the exhibition. In addition to this, they must demonstrate initiative and commitment to the planning, installation and promotion of the exhibition.
We will be conducting interviews on 20th January. If you would like to be considered, please submit your proposal for an exhibition, along with any images of work to: firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: 2pm Wednesday 13th January
INTERVIEWS: 20th January
EXHIBITION: 13th February – 3rd March
OPENING RECEPTION: Friday 12th February
Guidelines for Proposals:
- The written part of your proposal must be no longer than 1 A4 page. There is no limit on the number of images with captions.
- Please include dimensions of your work.
- You must be available on 9 – 11th February to install your work. If you are applying as part of a group, all members of your group must be available to assist with installation and curation on these dates. You must also be available on 4th March to de-install.
- Applicants must be current undergraduate students at Newcastle, Northumbria or Sunderland University. If you are applying as a group all members of your group must be current students.
- Proposals will not be accepted after the deadline.
Photograph: One of Matt Antoniak’s large scale drawings in our 2015 Student Exhibition